MFH’s next chief strategy officer (CSO) will continue to evolve the Foundation’s work across Missouri and the region. Leading a team of experienced and committed vice presidents who in turn lead high-performing staff, the CSO will ensure work across all programmatic functions is integrated and effective. As a change agent and strategist, the CSO will leverage systems thinking, cross-sector collaboration, and a long-term vision to advance health equity in the diverse state of Missouri. Working in close partnership with the president and chief executive officer and the Board of Directors and activating the Foundation’s financial, human, and reputational resources, the CSO will uphold MFH’s mission of eliminating underlying causes of health inequities, transforming systems, and enabling individuals and communities to thrive.
- Provide leadership for Strategic Initiatives, Responsive Philanthropy, Health Policy, and Learning and Research functions, ensuring that – in design, execution, and representation – the Foundation’s work is integrated, collaborative, and aligned with its mission, values, and role
- Effectively mitigate high-level risk in the design and execution of strategies
- Work collaboratively with the Board, its committees, and staff to ensure alignment and effectiveness across the organization in its policies, practices, and strategies
- Provide strategic leadership, innovative solutions, and broad-based knowledge to uphold the Foundation’s values, create a positive culture, and support a high-performing staff
- The Foundation has an overarching, long-term, high-impact strategy for achieving health equity that balances responsiveness with long-term commitment, taking best advantage of the Foundation’s position for driving positive system-level changes that affect health outcomes
- The Foundation is effective in designing and driving change as demonstrated by the execution of multi-faceted strategies that advance systems-level changes that reduce health disparities in, with, and for communities across Missouri
- The Foundation has a deep understanding of the health, philanthropy, equity, and Missouri landscapes and effectively uses that knowledge to advance systems change for Missouri communities
- The Foundation is highly regarded as a thought-leader and trusted partner by key stakeholders across Missouri and can leverage that reputation for greater impact on the health and well-being of people and communities most in need
- The Foundation is positioned as a “best in class” organization in the philanthropic field as demonstrated by invitations to participate in national partnerships and opportunities to feature its work in high-quality, well-respected publications and events
- The president and CEO, Board of Directors and its committees, and executive leadership have a broad understanding of the Foundation’s strategy and continually assess new opportunities to fulfill its mission, working together to effectively engage in long-term strategic planning
- Risk is considered throughout the organization through application of risk frameworks appropriate to the situation
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Minimum levels of education and experience.
- Education: Master’s degree in public health, social work, or related discipline required
- Experience: Minimum 15 years’ experience with at least 5 at the senior leadership/executive level. Demonstrated ability to create sophisticated, multi-faceted, systems change strategies that reduce inequities in health outcomes.
STATEMENT OF DIVERSITY
MFH is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and strives for authentic inclusion. We seek to build a team that reflects diversity of race, socioeconomic status, national origin, color, disability, religion, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. MFH is committed to salary equity, and compensation will be determined based upon an independent assessment of qualifications relative to the position’s responsibilities. The Foundation’s compensation philosophy can be viewed here.