Under the direct supervision of the President and Chief Executive Officer and in partnership with the Chief Strategy Officer, the Vice President of Health Policy is responsible for providing organizational leadership, setting the vision for the Foundation’s health policy and government affairs priorities, and executing a plan to fulfill these objectives. This individual will strategically raise Missouri Foundation for Health’s presence and influence on the policy environment in the Foundation’s region. The vice president manages the activities of the Health Policy team, developing and implementing the Foundation’s policy agenda, overseeing a portfolio of policy-related projects, integrating policy into the Foundation’s strategic initiatives, and managing Foundation-level advocacy activities. The Vice President of Health Policy is a key member of the Foundation’s Executive Team, working collaboratively with the leadership team and Board of Directors to set Foundation strategy and culture.
- Contribute to the development and evolution of Foundation strategy and effectively implement such strategy within area of responsibility. Clearly articulate Foundation strategy to internal and external audiences.
- Set organizational goals and priorities. Communicate goals and priorities to teams to develop tactics and action plans. Ensure successful execution of tactics to meet organizational goals while remaining responsive to environmental changes that call for action or change strategies.
- Seek out, develop, and maintain relationships with appropriate external partners. Be an ambassador for MFH by demonstrating integrity, professionalism, commitment, and humility. In your actions and decisions, demonstrate that you value diversity and equity. Instill those values in your team and its work.
- Ensure staff are effective, productive, and supported in their work and development. Create an environment in which all staff feel appreciated for their unique contributions to the work of the Foundation. Model and create an environment centered on MFH culture and workplace values including actively supporting a culture of collaboration with, and respect for, internal partners.
- Demonstrate fiscal responsibility, critical thinking, and sound judgement in all matters in order to safeguard MFH resources—financial, reputational, and human.
- Engage appropriately with the Community Advisory Council, the Board of Directors, and Board committees to accomplish the mission and goals of the organization. Support board members as they individually and collectively fulfill their legal, governance, and fiduciary responsibilities. Contribute to board education on various levels—understanding of the field, the nature of the work of the Foundation, and behaviors of effective board members.
- Serve as staff lead for the Health Policy Committee of the board.
Functional Area Duties:
- Working collaboratively with the Board of Directors and other members of the Executive Team, lead development of the Foundation’s agenda and strategy for health policy and government affairs. Ensure that annual policy and government affairs plans align with Foundation strategy and are nimble, taking advantage of opportunities to catalyze change.
- Position the Foundation as a thought leader on issues related to health policy by participating in media interviews, speaking on behalf of Foundation at conferences, representing the Foundation in key collaborations or partnerships, seeking opportunities to disseminating information related to the work of the organization, and co-leading the Foundation’s public affairs agenda. Represent MFH to external audiences as the subject matter expert regarding health policy in Missouri.
- Enhance the Foundation’s relationships with key political, governmental (primarily state level), and business leaders. Manage the government and cross-sector affairs activities of the organization, seeking opportunities of alignment between the Foundation’s goals and objectives and those of regional, state, and national government and business.
- Provide leadership to a portfolio of health policy and advocacy projects and activities, identifying opportunities that align with Foundation mission and goals. Manage staff responsible for day-to-day oversight of projects and activities and provide direct leadership to high-profile projects as appropriate. Retain and manage consultants as necessary to deliver on Foundation strategy and objectives.
- Oversee the strategic direction of health policy-related resources, such as publications for policymakers and the general public.
- Alongside other members of the Executive Team, seek and build opportunities to use policy and advocacy as change tools for strategic initiative and organizational-level work. Think creatively about approaches for catalyzing change and collaborate with staff at all level to drive results. Serve as a thought partner and key decisionmaker on strategic initiatives that rely heavily on advocacy, government affairs, and health policy as change tools.
- Directly supervise Health Policy staff, creating a high-performing, highly collaborative team that works across the organization to drive results. Effectively manage performance expectations through annual goal setting, performance appraisals, and employee development plans. Create an environment of accountability balanced with the flexibility and support that enables staff to achieve superior performance.
- Create and manage Health Policy budget.
- Adheres to the Foundation’s core values and to staff values.
- Participates as assigned in Foundation teams.
- Performs general Foundation support activities and carries out special projects as required.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Significant experience leading policy and government affairs initiatives in Missouri or a similar environment. Successful record of developing and managing complex, non-partisan policy and/or advocacy strategies.
- Minimum 12 years of experience in progressively responsible positions in an agency, academic, or consulting setting. Experience working with boards and senior leadership strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to manage, lead, and empower a highly skilled and diverse team of professionals to produce outstanding results.
- Excellent internal and external customer service skills and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively to diverse audiences ranging from an individual to a large gathering.
- Comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment as a leader and participant. Values creativity and flexibility in approach.
- Must present a professional manner and appearance.
- Advanced degree in an appropriate field.